Thursday, November 29, 2007

When moments decide years

Being the only 4-stroke 220 CC bike produced in India, I always had this feeling of being superior to others. With a Digital Twin Spark Fuel Injection , a mind-blowing 20bhp and a maximum torque of 1.95 kgm at 6500 rpm, I call myself the most advanced bike of India. About the looks,... even with sakshal Brad Pitt riding me, I could make every single gal on the road tell "wow.. what a bike" and then a bit later " was that Brad Pitt..????"

Every one wanted to own me, but I,.. I wanted to be owned by just one guy. A guy who will not give me all those galis if i'm not able to give him a 30 KM mileage, a guy, who will not curse me for not having a Kick start, in case my electric start does not work, a guy who will not kick @ my tyres in case my tubeless tyre gets punctured, but of all, a guy who will care for my vital parts like he cares for his.

I waited for almost 2 weeks in a show room near MarineDrive in Chennai. Then, on a sunday afternoon one guy of arround 5'9" walked in with one of his friends. I heard him telling the manager that he is working in a consulting firm and it is really a good company to work with, he was all proud of his company. Seemed he was happy with his life. He came and said he wanted a red 220CC * bike to be delivered within two days. and I was the choice.. Though I did not like his way of walking, or the looks, or the way he screamed all the time that his company is really good as if to convince himself, I did not really have a choice.

Quite opposite to my initial judgements, he was a nice person. Two things I noticed about him, first he was a man of impulse. I mean he decided things impulsively, and those impulsive moments decided hours and some times years for him. Second he wanted to be always right and a hero in front of his friends, even though it meant a personal loss to him.
For the first few days he continued his journey in the bus only, neglecting those moderately crowded buses, running after every empty bus that did not stop, and then in the end hanging on to the most crowded one. He always reached late. On that weekend one of his friend and he decided to take me out, and go on a ride to the Alsa Mall. It was a bit tough for him initially to handle my 20bhp horse power engine and powerful disc brakes. All most everytime he braked, his friend almost did a somersault. I donno why I despised his friend. I mean he was nice and all. that is OK. but my back seat is raised so much not for some 85 KG monkey to sit. Like all those sexy bikes on the road I also had some wishes. But anyway, the guy, it seems, never felt the need for one.

So this weekend malls stuff continued almost every week, going every saturday evening, and coming back at around 3'o clock on the sunday morning, until one day when they decided not to go to the malls together anymore. I donno what exactly happened but from what I could get from their talking in the upperbasement parking area, it seems a few couples made fun of them. It seems a gal started all this by telling her boyfriend, "Look you dont even love me as much as those guys love each other and you call yourself my boyfriend ??" and every one around started laughing. Guys come on.. those days are not that distant when a huge fuss was always made when a guy and a gal walked into a cinema theater. And then a group of guys hanging out was a very normal thing. Now you better have a girlfriend or dont come to the malls.

I was sad for the guy, but was a bit happy too, for at least I got some relief that I dont have to carry that 85 KG any more. Now it was all, office and back home for me. Every day the same road, same traffic signals, and so on.. Life was getting really boring until one day when I saw a girl coming out with him from the office. It was really late, around 12'o clock in the night. She was telling..
it is too late now.. I will have to get an auto
and then looking at him.. for him to tell
"chal I'll drop you."

But kahan.. apna hero toh ekdum seedha sadha haina... He said haan, and had almost started me when she asked
" Can you drop me till the auto stand"
another cold haan was the reply.. I donno what the heck is the problem with this guy. When will he learn what to tell. She must have been really scared, for no other reason, she would have asked a lift from such a loser.

Thus for the first time, I got a gal to sit on my back seat. that pleasure is something yaar... will tell u in private.. ;)
On the way to the auto stand he asked,

Can I drop you to your house.

no no,.. leave it, i'll get an auto from here. and any way I have to go to Nungambakkom.

Nungambakkom !!! you stay in nungambakkom, well I stay there too..!! I'll drop you. that is , if it is ok with you...

oh you stay there, then i wont mind you dropping me, infact i might not mind even picking me up

She had this weird smile
when she said that and I was laughing, for if it was me, I would have picked her up then and there itself. She was not a beauty, if you ask me. But she was not that bad too. was fair !! which is a surprise in chennai, and had pretty decent vital stats, good enough for sitting on my raised back seat. I donno whether the guy was happy or not, but I was happy.

The next day morning, he got up around8'o clock, heard him ringing up her, and telling
i'll pick you up, be ready by 9:30 ok...??

He wore a blue Lee jeans and a light green tee, and was all laughing when he pressed my red electric start button. He reached her house in 10 mins, and it was just 9:10 then. He ringed up her again and waited for another half an hour near her house. She came running downstairs with a hell lot of sorries, she was late !!!!. Put all combinations of sorry, very, really, and I'm, and she said all of them that day with a very mischievous smile on her lips. These combinations were soon going to be a part of his life.

From that day started a friendship that grew in front of my own eyes. I could call that friendship my own, for they were together only when they were with me, being busy with their office works otherwise. They were happy together. and I was happy too. Daily in the morning he waited for her, she always late, and while coming back, she waited for him, by me, he always late. But this was the time when they said a lot of things to me, some verbally and some no so verbally. I knew they loved each other.


I think the best state of love is when both love each other and when both dont know whether the other loves back or not. This is when people become at their best, creatively, and on humanitarian grounds. While she is waiting for him, and he is coming with his friends, he'll crack some joke to his friends, and then when they laugh, he will give a look to her..
See, i'm a star among my friends....
Buddy she loves you, whether you are a star or not. The same with her too. she'll help some one on the street, and give him a look,
See, i'm really a nice gal.. love me.

The best part is when he puts brakes, sometimes deliberately I'll activate my disc brakes a bit too much that she wont be able to control her forward momentum. She will hit his back, will suddenly get back and tell
oh sorry....
I laugh then too. What was that sorry for..? was it her fault. Was he disturbed. Or was it a "sorry.. I think you liked it". But then that is why this is the best state of love. Both of them will always do things that each other like and enjoy but with a sorry attached to it. I love this love thing. It is really cute. I was wondering when he is going to tell her that he loves her, or is it going to be she... Was not really necessary for them to tell though.
Though that was a love they never acknowledged it existed nevertheless.

But for them it was not enough that they loved each other. They had to be proud in loving each other. For he wanted to be proud of his girlfriend and vice versa. He wanted his friends envy this priced possession and she wanted it too. One Saturday , I think he decided to end this mystery. he was gonna tell her. But you know every one needs some advice before telling this love thing. people say there are certain ways to do it and he didn't know it. So he went to that 85 kg friend for advice. but he didn't want to tell him that he loved her. He didn't want to be embarrassed.

Kya Bhai.. kaise ho..? bahut din hogaya.. aaj kal toh dhikte hi nahi ho.???

Kya kare yaar, kaam itna rahte hain.. weekends ko bhi office jaan padta hain..

waise ek cheez batana tha tumhe, sunega toh you'll laugh like anything.

batao yaar...

don't tell any one ok..? it is a secret...

are bataona.. main kisiko nahi batana waala..

mera ek dost, he likes that girl, you know, she who comes to office with me. he is asking me to tell... kya kare...

what..??? hahahahaah.. sorry can't stop laughing, it is really funny...who will go after such a girl. she is a white pig. btw have you ever noticed her ass, she has a single lobbed ass. hehehe... I really pity him man, so sad... waise bolne main kya hain.. just tell her..

I wish I hadn't seen his awestruck face then. He was torn apart. Some how he managed a smile

hehehehe... haan.. waise chalo.. mujhe jaana hain abhi... milta hun...

And all of a sudden, a thing that he was of no concernfor him in the last four months was ruining his sleep. Why did she have to have it like that. What will he do now.. All this four months he was going with a girl who didnt have a perfect ass. God, how could he do that. what his friends would have thought of him.

If he had asked me, I would have asked him to just look at my rear view mirror, and tell what the gal should be thinking of him. But then... he never asked me.

He had to avoid every possible way to see her. No more did he want to pick her up and brake at those bumps. He was in search of an all perfect beauty.
The next day I saw him putting a board in front of the house and the very next day one guy came and bought me. The way he thought of to not pick her up.

I really miss him, but as I said, for him the moments decided hours and some times years. This time the life itself I guess.

Now in this new house, a pomeranian and an alcesian are competing as to who will pee the maximum on my tyres.. naasam pidicha jantukkal.... Bloody dogs..















22 comments:

ADITYA said...

HAHAHHAA..Too Good...Keep 'em coming dude..

Anonymous said...

Hey it was pretty good. A definite improveemnt if I may say so. The third person bike narrative is something I have seen before but the interesting thing was how you kept the story telling going by allowing the bike to notice subtleties that only a third person narrative could have otherwise satisfied. Which would also have been very run of the mill and dry. It was funny in bits but I have the feeling, something else was expected to be conveyed. And yes surprisingly was. The only minus would be that the plot development was going quite smoothly till the finale which was good but reached abruptly. Tweak that just a bit and you have a winner. Btw is this based on your latest paramour? If it is and the story describes your behaviour, you deserve to be hanged. ;)

shreko said...

@zog
paramour ?? athoru vesham alle kannaa??
@kannan
kanna kalakki,,,dont ask me wat i think an all..i luvd th first part but the last part was really abrupt..
and the character in the story is not at all like u is he ????

shreko said...

alternative ending :
the impulsive guy trusts his instincts and goes for the symmetric and perfect 85 kg ass,realise the need for th bike again ,so decide against sellin it and they lived happily ever after.

shreko said...

srry..grammatic errs

shreko said...

:D

Unknown said...

hey this one was one of your best piece... but i seriously doubt abt the coincidence of tht fictional characters with the person living or dead..hehehehe...but u r safebecause the narrator is tht pure bike!!!!

Milcom said...

awesome!!
nice narration....
ending cud ve been a little better though..but dnt ask me wat it shud ve been [:P]

Unknown said...

Well written man...good imagination

Unknown said...

gud man! bike narrating a story... it seemed so real... bike has been personified wel... dis showcases nother dimension of ur creativity n imagination... u cud hav jus improved da ending.. neways gud job! wel done! da -ve thing was dat da story was a bit draggy... cud hav cut short at some places...

dee said...

hey...this is my 1st commnt on your blog..nd i remembr..ur hate negative comments...
the post was nice( actually nice ;) )..like d way d bike did d talking this tym..but whr wer u in d pic?? d biker guy r d fat 85kg guy?? or d bike ;)
jo bhi..i wud hav luvd a happily-ever-after story..

Musings!!!! said...

good one.......the perspective of a bike has made the story very interesting....

sweetsmile said...

nice 1... i mean v used to write ek kitab ki atmakatha or ek pathar ki atmakatha n stuff in middle school... ur story made me remem all sorts of unwritable thoughts which raced my mind while writing the'atmakatha' of ne non livin thing...

Anonymous said...

hey buddy ....i liked it .....
bt i thnk u were a little impulsive in posting this blog!!
the gals r nt gonna like it ....and u wud b in fr some flak !!!
God save ur soul and @$$ if they wer to relate u wth the guy in the story .....
Hope my comment still finds u in one piece!!!
God save ur @$$
amen!!!

neskay said...

kalakki kannaa kalakki...!!
ur best so far... regardless of wt others say i felt the end was nice, sort of giving an authentic short story touch... who knows u may be the Kafka of the future... of course 4 tht u hav to stop all chali chapli uvachaas...
btw, y is it tht u r obsessed with pomeranian dog? is it somthing like the chindan pati of boban n moli...

A LONG STORY said...

was it a blog?????Nice little meaningful story.....with a bit of assy stuff though(how can kannan miss his touch).Great work....was touching...really mean it.

Unknown said...

Nice and very meaningful one
U have presented real feelings of a human being in a lifeless bike and too in a very nice manner..Too gud..
I haven't read anyone writing on such things in this real way...
Good imagination power:-)
After reading only 1 blog i am tempted to read all......

Unknown said...

Honestly speaking of all your posts this one is the best( and last one the worst - i am sorry). You know the way sometimes you so perfectly write about love that it seems you actually had some long story in your life. The line "the best part of love when both love each other and both dont know if the other loves back"- was just too good.Such a perfect written story that so many times happens in real life- when more than one's own likings people go by the opinion of the public who looks for nothing but an opportunity to criticize. Cant forget to mention no one cud have been narrator of this story than the bike itself. Too good an article-m speechless.

Arnab Thakur said...

machi, read ur comments on one of my posts. from there got the link to this post. pretty good one(shall i say story, if it is one :) )

Abhisek said...

Nice short story more than anything else....creative genious i must say....

The most striking point is that even though the story uses a lot of second person salutation it doesnt end up confusing the reader...as the characters dont have a name except may be the "85kg guy".

Raj said...

OK ... No patience to read this whole story. But then, the comments seemed to have already given you what you need ... APPRECIATION ... Keep it up ... I guess you have found a good passion in life :)

pallavi said...

gud one..thru out the post i kept on guessing which character you represented...you should have unfolded this mystery at the end[;)]..and after reading ur post, the first thought which crossed my mind was "may b i m sent to chennai for being picked up and dropped back by a similar 220 cc bike..!!"